According to the National Asphalt Institute, regularly sealing your pavement significantly reduces extensive asphalt repairs.
It is much cheaper to maintain a regular asphalt maintenance with sealcoating than it is to rip out and completely replace your existing asphalt or extensive driveway repairs.
What Is A Sealcoat?
A sealcoat is a liquid product typically created with asphalt emulsions or acrylics. It is used for asphalt sealcoating and resurfacing.
The sealing properties of these ingredients protect your asphalt from problems that cause damage to your asphalt surfaces.
Why Do I Need It?
Sealcoating is a necessary step in asphalt maintenance because it eliminates the biggest problems affecting your asphalt. Therefore, pavement resurfacing with sealcoat extends the life of your property by preventing those items that cause asphalt damage.
- Gas and Oil: Because sealcoat is a petroleum product, it acts as a barrier, preventing gas and oil from seeping into your asphalt.
- Salt Damage: The binding properties of sealcoat prevent salt from eroding away your asphalt and creating potholes.
- Water Seepage: Sealcoat adds an extra layer of protection so water cannot seem into the asphalt and cause cracks.
- Oxidation from the sun: UV rays and everyday traffic combine to create havoc on your asphalt; sealcoat prevents this process by protecting the surface.
Without resurfacing, these problems will only get worse and will eventually destroy your parking lot or driveway.
How Long Does It Take?
Sealcoat is completed quickly and easily with three simple steps:
- Step 1. The surface must be machine-cleaned to ensure that it is completely free of dirt and debris before it is ready for resurfacing. Any existing asphalt repairs or existing oil spots are pretreated and cleaned. Any cracks or holes should be filled and repaired prior to applying a sealcoat. This ensures the application bonds to the entire surface evenly.
- Step 2: The sealcoat is applied with either a spray or a squeegee method. Both methods are effective and leave a polished and professional look. Sealcoat on edges and curbing are applied with brushes to ensure a neat and clean application with sharp lines.
- Step 3: Once the sealcoat is applied, traffic should be kept off the surface for a minimum of 18-36 hours.
Commercial and Residential Sealcoat
Asphalt resurfacing is important on any paved surface from a stadium parking lot to your own driveway. Any driveway repair can be expensive; sealcoat keeps your driveway protected while increasing curb appeal.
How Often Should I Sealcoat?
Research shows that regular asphalt maintenance with sealcoating will extend the life of your asphalt by up to 15 years. Even if your asphalt is new, resurfacing within the first year will show less overall degradation over time than those that are not sealed within the first year.
Afterwards, we recommend a regular annual asphalt maintenance schedule with a new sealcoat each year to reap the most benefits.
The Louisville Paving Pros Sealcoat
We have over 15 years in the industry with thousands of satisfied customers. We use only the best pavement products for both durability and protection.
Trust our professionals and we will guarantee satisfaction with each job, big or small.
Sick of bumps and cracks in your pavement? Let us smooth it out for you!